Mark Watson's Resume
Contact Information: (928) 300-8542, [email protected]
Professional SummaryMr. Watson is a hands-on software architect and developer specializing in large scale data and text mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI) development, and general server side development (Clojure with Compojure, Java, Haskell, and Ruby with Sinatra). His work involves information gathering and processing using both his own custom software tools (some demos at KBSportal.com and open source projects at github.com/mark-watson) and open source projects like Stanford NLP, OpenNLP, Apache Spark MLlib, Lucene, Solr, and Hadoop. Mr. Watson has worked on AI projects for DARPA, SAIC, Nintendo, Pacific Bell, Disney, CompassLabs, and Webmind Corporation. Mr. Watson is the author of 16 published computer science books.
B.S. Physics, University of California at Santa Barbara
All class work completed for M.S. in Computer Science with 3.9 GPA at San Diego State University while working full time
Continuing education 2012:
- Coursera/UC Berkeley Software Engineering for Software as a Service
- Coursera/Stanford Machine Learning
- Coursera/University of Toronto Neural Networks for Machine Learning
- Coursera/Stanford Natural Language Processing
- Coursera/École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne Functional Programming Principles in Scala
- Google Power Searching with Google
Continuing education 2013:
- Coursera/University of Washington Introduction to Data Science
- Coursera/UC Irvine Fundamentals of Personal Financial Planning
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Metadata: Organizing and Discovering Information
Continuing education 2014:
- Hasso Plattner Institute Knowledge Engineering with Semantic Web Technologies
- Coursera/University of Pennsylvania (Wharton Business College) Analyzing Global Trends for Business and Society
Continuing education 2015:
- edX DelftX FP101x Introduction to Functional Programming
- Coursera Fog Networks and the Internet of Things
- edX Microsoft DEV201x Introduction to TypeScript
- edX Microsoft DEV203x Introduction to Bootstrap
- edX Tsinghua University China Will China Rise as a Disruptive Force? The Insiders' Perspective
Partial Customer List
References available on request
- Capital One
- Pace AP
- Lutris Technology
- University of Chicago
- Webmind Corporation
Details available at www.markwatson.com
Mr. Watson designs and develops software using Java, Haskell, Ruby, Clojure, Common Lisp, Python and C++ programming. He also has a working knowledge of the Smalltalk, Perl, and Objective-C programming languages.
Machine Learning Backpropagation neural model for SAIC bomb detection system. NLP Machine Learning work at Ola Search, CompassLabs and Vantage Software. ML mentoring for various consulting customers.
Data mining and large scale infrastructure - Developer for CompassLabs working on using social media.
Artificial Intelligence Programming - AI developer for Global Health Care Systems Phrophet Quest project. Principal architect and AI programmer for KnowledgeBooks.com, a developer of natural language processing and knowledge management tools.
Linux Deployment Specialist - Lead developer for deployment and scalability for projects for GHX and SAMBA.
Java EE 6 work on a real time large scale licensing system at Pace AP
Web application development (Java and Ruby) J2EE Architect for Samba. Worked on distributed high-availability search for Rojo.
Corporate funded work on the open source Jaffa Java web application framework.
Software architect - SAMBA (architecture for data collection and integration).
Independent Java consultant (2001 to present) - Many small jobs. Larger jobs include: adding SOAP, WSDL, and UDDI (client and server) support to the Lutris Java application server product; updating user guides for the latest version of the Xanalys LispWorks commercial product.
Artificial Intelligence Programming (2001) - Principal architect and AI programmer for KnowledgeBooks.com.
Webmind Corporation (1999-2000) - General Java and artificial intelligence programming. Server side Java and Internet data-spidering agents.
Independent Java consultant (1998) - Java based set-top-box demo for Disney/Americast, general application and network programming for other clients.
Angel Studios (1996-1997) - Artificial intelligence C++ software implementation for two Nintendo video games, and the lead programmer for dinosaur/river ride VR experience for Disney.
SAIC (1983-1995) - Scientific programming and artificial intelligence applications. Two commercial products: ExperOPS5 for the Macintosh and the ANSim neural network simulator for Microsoft Windows.